Friday 5 February 2010

*Goodvitality Ltd - much better value than Holland & Barretts!


GoodVitality Ltd's website is "the place to research and purchase alternative healthcare products"...

UPDATE, 3 Mar: ASA: "We have decided to pass your complaint about the Goodvitality Ltd ad to our Investigations team for assessment. They will be seeking substantiation for the comparative claim and the claim that the products can kill E-Coli."

UPDATE, 9 Apr: ASA: "...we have now received a response from Goodvitality. We have explained to them the level of evidence we would require to support the claims and they have agreed to withdraw their ad until such a time they are in a position to do that."



...but perhaps not the best place to find randomised, double-blinded trials - which has always been my understanding of the word "research".

GoodVitality offer some truly startling products - Homeopathic Toothpaste is my favourite - but my ASA complaint concerns their claims for "aura cleansers" and colloidal silver.

"I write to complain about an advert published in Nexus Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 2 (February-March 2010).

The advert, for Goodvitality Ltd, is entitled "Zappers".

I have submitted a scan of the advert. I can provide an original copy of the advert by post, if required.

I believe the advert is in breach of one section of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (CAP) code.

1. Nexus Magazine is published in the UK "under licence by Nexus Magazine (UK) Ltd". It is available in high street shops like WH Smiths.

2. The February-March 2010 issue (Vol. 17, No. 2, page 10) carried an advert entitled "Zappers".

3. The advert promoted three types products: "Zappers", an "Aura Cleanser", and "Colloidal Silver Products".

4. The CAP Code, Section 3.1, states "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation."

5. I challenge whether Goodvitality Ltd hold documentary evidence to prove the following claims:

(i) The Lee Crocks Aura Cleanser can cleanse auras;

(ii) Goodvitality's colloidal silver products can kill E-Coli;

(iii) Goodvitality's colloidal silver products are forty times more effective at killing E-Coli than products sold by Higher Nature or Holland and Barrett's.

6. I confirm that I have no connections with the advertiser, Higher Nature, Holland & Barrett's, Nexus Magazine, or with the publishing industry in general. I confirm that I am not involved in legal proceedings with the advertiser or Nexus Magazine.

7. I confirm that I am happy to be identified as the complainant."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.